Chief Conservator of Forest, Eco-Tourism, Uttarakhand organized a workshop on “Developing Infrastructure for Forestry, Environment and Ecotourism Though Public Private Partnership.” in Dehradun on Thursday 15th April 2010. Uttarakhand PPP Cell participated as a resource team on PPP for this workshop.
Workshop started with a small brainstorming session on Infrastructure for Forestry. The objective of the brainstorming session was to identify the broad category of infrastructure available with the forest department which could be developed, redeveloped, restored or conserved with private sector participation.
As a result of the session following broad categories of infrastructure were identified by the participants :
1. Tangible Assets in form of buildings, forest rest houses etc.
2. In tangible Assets in form of natural resources, eco tourism etc.
Public Private Partnership (PPP)
- The first session of the training workshop was on PPP. The objective of the session was to provide overall knowledge about the PPP process.
- The session started with brief introduction about formation of Uttarakhand Public Private Partnership Cell (UPPPC), its roles and objectives. The session was started by PPP Expert with introduction to PPP, pre requisite to PPP, steps involved in PPP, how to choose a PPP Model and Global PPP scenario.
- In the next session PPP Expert explained about Project Preparation and how to decide whether to undertake a particular project on PPP mode or by Government itself. 3 case studies of project implemented and project under implementation in the state were taken up. Various aspects related to preparation of public sector comparator and determining value for money were explained in detail.
- PPP Associate made a presentation on Market Engagement part of the PPP process. This presentation detailed the stages involved in PPP project development process, types of bid process management and provisions related to preparation of bid documents were explained.
- A detailed presentation on PPP Project Monitoring, Government Support & Schemes available for PPP projects was made by MIS Expert. During the presentation the participants were told about how to monitor a PPP Project (procedure followed for the project monitoring of existing MRI Machine Project was explained as an example).
- “PPP Handbook”, developed by Uttarakhand PPP Cell, was distributed to all the participants.
At the end of the session and based on the discussions with the participants following activities were suggested by UPPPC Cell :
i. Create a PPP unit within the department and appoint a PPP nodal officer
ii. Prepare list of projects which could be undertaken through private sector participation
iii. Start pilot projects under PPP mode which could be replicated in other parts of the state
iv. Select citizen centric projects with large demand
v. Training programmes for department officers
Presentations Made at the workshop can be downloaded from the links below.